Achillea Little Moonshine (‘ACBZ0002’ USPPAF, EU 36285) comes to Rozanne® and Friends from Har Stemkens of Syngenta Flowers, breeder of Leucanthemum ‘Freak!®.
Little Moonshine is a miniature version of Achillea ‘Moonshine’, a long-time favorite and early selection by Alan Bloom. ‘Moonshine’ was awarded the RHS Award of Garden Merit way back in 1993!
Little Moonshine features a compact habit with the same bright yellow flowers, as its larger namesake. It also has the same finely-cut, silver-green foliage. It blooms early and for a long time—from May to September. Its compact size makes it ideal for providing a splash of color in rock gardens, fronts of borders and containers.
Like Centaurea, this genus has some Greek folklore. Chiron the Centaur taught the Greek hero Achilles the healing properties of plants. Achilles used poultices from his namesake, Achillea, to heal wounds of his soldiers.
- Typically plant 1 liner per quart (1 liter) or 1 liner per 6 to 8-inch (1 gallon, 4 liters) pots
- Needs extra time to size up before overwintering. Plant in late summer to early fall and allow plants to bulk before vernalization. Overwinter outdoors or inside cold greenhouses. Allow plants to emerge and flower with naturally occurring spring temperatures. This method provides larger plants, more uniformity and more flowers.
- Alternatively, plant vernalized liners in March and April, but only in quarts (1 liter). Plants will not be as uniform, full or floriferous as in bulked, overwintered crops.
- Media pH: 6.0 to 7.0; media EC: 1.0 to 1.2 mmhos/cm (saturated paste).
- Watch for aphids, spider mites, botrytis.
- Like most plants with gray-green foliage, do not over water.
- See our Little Moonshine Grower Technical Guide for more information.
In the garden
- For front garden borders. Also, great in containers.
- Resistant to deer, butterfly and bee attracter, long bloom period
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 4 to 8. AHS Heat Zone: 9 to 1. Prefers cooler regions.
- Grow in full sun.
- Space 10 to 12 inches (25 to 30 cm) apart.
- Expected height is 9 to 12 inches (23 to 30 cm).
- Prefers well-drained garden soils.
- Tolerates heat and drought. Will suffer in high humidity.
- Remove spent flowers for a tidier appearance. Although it blooms sporadically throughout the summer, you can shear plants after initial flowering for a later rebloom flush.