Anemone hupehensis Pretty Lady Series hybrids come to Must Have Perennials® from Japan, via Mr. Yoshiro Kanazawa. The Pretty Lady series was developed to provide new selections of this popular fall-flowering perennial. In short, compared to standard varieties, these new varieties have larger flowers, more flowers and compact growth habits.
Must Have Fall Perennial: Who are the Pretty Ladies?
- ‘Pretty Lady Diana’ features 2-inch (5 cm) single, bicolored deep-rose and light pink flowers. Was listed as 2012 Top Performing Perennial in Colorado State University trials.
- ‘Pretty Lady Emily’ also displays 2-inch (5 cm) flowers. Also light pink, but double.
- ‘Pretty Lady Julia’ presents pink 2-inch (5 cm) flowers. These are also double.
- ‘Pretty Lady Maria’ has white, single flowers. Flowers also measure 2-inch (5 cm).
- ‘Pretty Lady Susan’ has single deep pink flowers, which are also 2-inch (5 cm).
All flower late summer until frost. Great for mass plantings in back borders and containers. First year garden height is 16 inches (41 cm), 24 inches (61 cm) third year in our trial garden.
Plants are deer resistant, long blooming, as well as attractive to bees and butterflies.
You are not required to vernalize. Typically plant 1 liner per 1 gallon (4 litre), or 6- 8-inch (15 to 20 cm) pots.
Standard media pH: 5.5 to 6.5; standard media EC: 1.5 to 3.0 mmhos/cm (saturated paste).
Use consistent moisture and avoid wilting, or buds and leaves will be damaged.
Watch for Rhizoctonia. We have not observed typical Anemone nematode problems for this series.
Long days are required for flowering. Plant late May to early June.
In hot greenhouses, flower color will fade and flowering may be delayed.
Finished container height for most is 18 inches 45 cm); except ‘Pretty Lady Susan’ is just 12 inches (30 cm).
See our Technical Guide for more information.
In the Garden
- For back garden borders. Combine nicely with Dendranthema Igloo Series hardy mums.
- Resistant to deer, butterfly and bee attracter, long bloom period, blooms later.
- USDA Hardiness Zone 5 to 9.
- Grow in full sun to part shade.
- Plants will spread in the garden to create showy fall flower displays.
- Does not tolerate dry soils; keep soil moist. Therefore, do not allow plants to wilt prior to irrigation.
Retailers: check out our Rozanne and Friends website info for consumer information on the Anemone Pretty Lady Series.