“Parlez-vous Français?” If not, don’t worry—we’ll teach you enough to order this exciting new Must Have Perennials® variety for 2019—Lychnis ‘Petit Henri’.
Simply ask for Lychnis “PUH-tee ON-ree”!
‘Petit Henri’ boasts a candelabra of shaggy, white, double flowers. “Ragged Robin” is its common name.
Masses of ¾-inch flowers last an exceptionally long time—from late spring through fall! In addition, for added color interest, the flower base petals (calyx) are dark maroon, matching the flowering stems. Its branched flower stems rise about twice as high as the mounded tufts of grey-green foliage.
Although our Lychnis ‘Petite Jenny’ was discovered in a patch of Lychnis ‘Jenny’, there is no “Lychnis Henri” from which Lychnis ‘Petit Henri’ was discovered. As a result, this makes Henri truly one of a kind!
‘Petit Henri’ for growers
- Typically plant 1 liner per quart (1 liter) or 1-gallon (4 liter) pots.
- Vernalization is beneficial for flowering, but not required.
- Bulk 1-gallon (4 liter) pots for 4-6 weeks before vernalization.
- Smaller pots can be started from vernalized liners in late winter, early spring for flowering plants 6-8 weeks later.
- Non-vernalized liners planted in spring will flower early summer but will not be as full or floriferous.
- Media pH: 5.8-6.5
- Media EC: 1-3 mmhos/cm
- Watch for thrips, aphids, spider mites, crown rot
‘Petit Henri’ for retailers
- Use in borders, small cottage and informal gardens, meadow gardens, containers and as cut flowers.
- Attracts butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. Tolerates deer.
- Wait until blooms wither then remove entire flower stalk down to the base of the plant.
- Plants prefer moist over dry conditions.
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 5 to 7.
- Grow in sun or part shade.
- Height 18-24″ (45-60cm)
- Spread 18-24″ (45-60cm)
Want to learn more? Read more about Lychnis ‘Petit Henri’ on the Rozanne and Friends website.